Subject: Re: Problems with root and .rhosts
To: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
From: Darren Reed <darrenr@vitruvius.arbld.unimelb.edu.au>
List: current-users
Date: 10/28/1994 19:42:29
In some email I received from Greg Earle, they wrote:
[...]
> > I totally agree about the false security about this.  I mean, you can't
> > rlogin as root, but rsh "setenv <host>:0.0; /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm &" works
> > just fine.  Unfortunately, that won't work for us in all cases, since we do
> > work from vt100 emulation at times.
>
> Done a "rsh otherhost '[t]csh -i'" lately?  If you don't need job control ...

Hmm...I don't think making "rsh otherhost csh -i" banned is such a good idea.

Maybe if you don't use it in a network environment, but as far as I am aware,
using rdump/rrestore requires rsh to work.

Banning login via rlogin I have no problem with...I just don't want to see
cron jobs stop working...just as long as it is possile to do remote backups
and so forth.