Subject: Re: Compiling the sbin sources
To: None <mikeb@snow.datametrics.com>
From: None <jmc@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 10/24/1994 09:20:44

>I just noticed, while I was recompiling the sbin sources, that they link
>with -static. Is there some particular reason for this? Seems to me this
>stuff should probably not be linked static, perhaps this is just opinion.
>Good chance this has been discussed here before...

Go ahead and look at the /bin sources as well. These are also compiled
statically. Mainly this is so you can do a boot -s and get to a shell
rompt without having to worry if the shared libs are working correctly or
not. If you ever once mess up ld.so or a shared library, you'll appreciate
the fact that you can get back to single user mode at least.

Try getting a sun (with 4.1.3) to boot without any shared libraries sometimes
and see how far it gets...

James