Subject: Re: national language support
To: None <kamar@ease.Rhein-Main.DE>
From: J.T. Conklin <jconklin@netcom.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/23/1994 10:32:53
> I just wondered, if national language support will be added to
> NetBSD.

It's happening incrementally.

Almost all of the C library functions that are supposed to have locale
dependant behavior no longer use "constants" (like the decimal point
character).  Instead those values are obtained from locale tables.  The
code to load new locale tables isn't checked in yet.

The post-1.0 C library routines strerror(), perror(), strsignal(), and
psignal() get their values through message catalogs. All that is needed is
a bsd.msg.mk makefile fragment and we can start writing catalogs with
those messages.

Also, many of the user programs have allready been modified to call
setlocale().  When everything in the C library is complete,
internationalization support should magically start working.

There still might be some work to do (For example, changing strcmp() to
strcoll()), but I think we're well on our way.

	--jtc