Subject: Re: 1.0A Repeated "panic: ffs_alloccg" Any ideas?
To: Charles M. Hannum <mycroft@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@kuma.web.net>
List: current-users
Date: 10/19/1994 17:17:40
[ On Wed, October 19, 1994 at 16:47:39 (-0400), Charles M. Hannum wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: 1.0A Repeated "panic: ffs_alloccg" Any ideas?
>
> I've been running quotas for a few months here, with no ill effects.
> I suspect the problems you were having with them are directly
> correlated with the other problems (namely, corrupted file systems due
> to a bug in handling bogusly large file offsets, due to some
> application not being ported correctly).

That sounds plausible, though we've no other evidence of filesystem
corruption (kernel corruption, sometimes in filesystem related code,
yes, but no actual on-disk filesystem problems as far as I know).

On the other hand, it cannot, by definition, be due to an "incorrectly
ported application".  (I.e. where the definition is that the kernel
should not permit any other portion of the system to be compromised in
any way by some errant process.)  The application should be aborted
before any corruption in the kernel or filesystem can occur, period.

--
						Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734			VE3TCP		robohack!woods
Planix, Inc. <woods@planix.com>; UniForum Canada <woods@uniforum.ca>