Subject: Re: partitioning MS-DOS problems -- aargh!
To: Charles M. Hannum <mycroft@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
From: Ian Fitchet <I.D.Fitchet@fulcrum.co.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 10/19/1994 21:05:07
Charles,

>When and where did you get the floppy images?  There was a critical
>[...]
>if wd.c is prior to version 1.84.2.6, try a later version.

	He used the boot floppies announced to current-users on Monday
(was it Monday?, anyway the most recent set).  The 0.9 floppies caused
a similar disaster.

	My OS was rebuilt from a SUP of current on Saturday (15th Oct)
and has sys/i386/isa/wd.c version 1.84.2.7 (sys/i386/stand/wd.c
version 1.3)

   labelling disk wd0...overwriting disk with DOS partition label (n):

>	   which if you respond with `y' goes immediately to the mkfs
   stage.

>	   Now, oddly enough, NetBSD has trashed the partition table,
   fips says (including the Error):

>That's hardly surprising, since you told it to.

 :-)

 Yes, I know.  My point was the floppy kernel has already done
something to the disk such that this time round it thinks it's about
to overwrite a DOS partition table (it didn't give this message the
first time round).

Cheers,

	Ian

      Ian Fitchet			I.D.Fitchet@fulcrum.co.uk
  Fujitsu Fulcrum Telecommunications ltd., Fordrough Lane, Birmingham, B9 5FL