Subject: Solved: upgr. no floppies
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Mark F Willey <willey@ecn.purdue.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 10/19/1994 10:25:17
All,

Yesterday I posted my problem with a kernel panic related to untarring the
new beta.  This is fixed, and was a configuration problem on my part.
(misaligned cylanders for partitions.)  Anyhow, I thought I'd share on how
I got the beta up here...

I have 2 IDE drives, an August beta is running on the first drive, and I
have X11R6 on the second.  I also put the distribution on wd1e:/net-dist.
I moved all of the CKSUM files out of the distribution subdirectories.
Then:

/ # mount /dev/wd1a /oroot
/ # mount /dev/wd1e /oroot/usr
/ # cd /oroot
/oroot # for ii in usr/net-dist/*10; do    <---- bash shell (sh, ksh, bash)
> cat $ii/* | tar -xvzpf -
> done
[.....]
/oroot # cd dev
/oroot/dev # ./MAKEDEV all
[.....]
/oroot/dev # cp /netbsd /oroot/.

This should get you going - also make a new fstab file.  Then, you can
write out a kernel-copy floppy to disk and get the new kernel as well (you
better!).  But the old kernel *should* get you running, if you configure it
right...

Mark