Subject: parallel make
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/18/1994 20:54:01
I tried to get make to run some parallel jobs (with ``-j4''), but
noticed it didn't work.  So, I went digging a bit in the sources, and
noticed the stuff for setting the local count above one for number of
simultaneious jobs was all commented out.  Is our make currently
incapable of running parallel jobs?  I thought it might utilize my CPU
a bit more efficiently while a certain process was sleeping waiting on
disk if another process could be busy building another file, since I
have a bus-mastering SCSI controller, and lots of cache.

Is there a reason the multi-job stuff is #ifdef'd out?  Would it break
things horribly if I tried to use it?

   Michael L. VanLoon     michaelv@HeadCandy.com     michaelv@iastate.edu
  Free your mind and your machine -- NetBSD free un*x for PC/Mac/Amiga/etc.
     Working NetBSD ports: 386+PC, Mac, Amiga, HP300, Sun3, Sun4c, PC532
               In progress: DEC pmax (MIPS R2k/3k), VAX, Sun4m