Subject: Re: ballpark ratio users:cpu for a [345]86 NetBSD box?
To: Mike Miscevic <miscevic@on.bell.ca>
From: Rob Healey <rhealey@kas.helios.mn.org>
List: current-users
Date: 09/28/1994 18:20:31
> Different people define "fair" in different ways...
>
> So *maybe* you should buy equivalent multi-serial port hardware for the
> NetBSD system before you make such an observation. Maybe something that
> wouldn't generate an interrupt for each byte that it received? Can we say
> hardware buffer? Now that would be a fair match :)

	But where is the smart card drivers, i.e. the ones that have
	a CPU offloading the interrupts? From a quick check it appears
	only the dumb cards that generate gobs of interrupts are
	supported by NetBSD at this time. i.e. no Digi, Computone and
	such type smart controllers. With those kinds of cards NetBSD
	would haul some serious levels of serial ass over the older 10MHz 68k
	serial controller!

		-Rob