Subject: Re: I don't want to wait!
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Brian Moore <ziff@eecs.umich.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 09/28/1994 00:26:58
Well, after a few people asked me how I installed NetBSD 1.0_BETA on my i386
machine, I decided to put the install docs, floppies and tar files up on
ftp.eecs.umich.edu.  They can be found in /BSD/NetBSD/misc/1.0-Beta.  All these
files were made with the sources for the i386 port, current as of 9/21 ( the
last time sup scan was run on sun-lamp ).  I have used these files to install
NetBSD-1.0 Beta on a Dell 486 with 12MB, with an Adaptec 1542B and a split
DOS/UNIX IDE boot drive.  Before you run off and get these files, please read
the rest of this.  These files are not, I repeat not, supported by the NetBSD
core team, I did this myself for my own use, and enough people asked about
them that I just made them public.  If you want to use these, remember you use
them at your own risk, buyer beware, look both ways before crossing, do not
remove this tag, please wait 30 minutes before entering the water ( any others
I miss? ).  If they work for you, then great!  If not, then just wait until the
real NetBSD 1.0 release is done.  And lastly, before you go and grab this
stuff, remember these files were made by the same person who couldn't figure
out that w actually needs the set-gid bits set to access /dev/kmem ( Duh! ).
So remember that while you ftp those files. :)

Brian Moore
NetBSD mirror head honcho at ftp.eecs.umich.edu
ziff@eecs.umich.edu