Subject: Re: Snapsot Report - August 21st tar_files
To: Alistair G. Crooks <agc@uts.amdahl.com>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@alpha.bostic.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/24/1994 13:50:05
> Subtitled: A golf-cart, three penguins, and a pick-axe.

*smirk*

> 10.  I thought I saw something some time ago about changing one
> source-file commands (using the share/mk files) to compile the binary
> directly, without creating an intermediate object file.  Does anyone
> know what happenned to that?

umm, for a while the .mk files would generate the programs directly
without the intermediate .o file.

However, that has the distinct disadvantage that, while it saves you
a little bit of disk space, it significantly increases the re-link
time when you install a new libc and want to re-link the world.  if
the .o's for single-source binaries (a large portion of the tree)
aren't built, you have to recompile them from source, which takes
time...

there are also other nice reasons to keep the .o files around (e.g.
'crunch').

so the .mk files were actually converted _back_ to building the .o's,
then linking.

chris