Subject: I did something stupid!
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/23/1994 01:29:21
I tried to bring my filesystems up-to-date with fsck -c2, and I
managed to hose my root partition.  Now, whenever I boot, it flashes a
message and reboots.  All I've been able to see of the message are the
last lines, which are:

i/o error

rebooting...

I forgot to update the boot blocks (they're 1.19s from late April),
which I think is the root of my problem.  I need one of two things:

1) Disk images for a 1.0B kernel-copy and filesystem floppies
(desperate beta tester with nothing to lose!  That's me!).  I can boot
either i386 GENERIC kernel; the only thing I really need is wd0,
although MSDOSFS and mount_msdos would be helpful.  The only thing
that *must* be missing is com3 (I have 8514A compatible VGA).

2) Alternatively, does anyone know of a dd-like utility that runs on
DOS?  I just went trolling through the /pub/msdos/{gnuish,diskutil}
directories on oak.oakland.edu, but I didn't see anything that might
be helpful.  If I had something dd-like, then I could try to write
some up-to-date bootblocks directly to my root partition.

I hope someone can help me, since I'd rather NOT have to reinstall 0.9
and upgrade again.
--
Mike Long                                         Mike.Long@Analog.com
VLSI Design Engineer                    (PGP 2.6 public key available)