Subject: Re: (1) getty/login, (2) NFS options
To: der Mouse <mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@cs.orst.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 08/17/1994 11:01:25
On Tue, 16 Aug 1994 16:55:44 -0400
 der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU> wrote:

 > (1) I have been unable to get logins working on /dev/ttya.  I turn it
 >     on in /etc/ttys, HUP init, and the login prompt shows up fine.
 >     Then I type a username and RETURN (which echo correctly), and it
 >     says, instead of the Password: prompt I would expect, @8@@@@9w
 >     (with no newline after it).  Nothing I type at this point has any
 >     effect I can discern, until some timeout expires, at which point it
 >     utters the cryptic string @@@@@@]@@PW@P8@@@(@@@@9\@@^@~ and prints
 >     another prompt from getty.  I would assume this is a baud-rate
 >     problem, except that stty insists that the baud rate is the same
 >     both when getty is reading a username and when login is reading a
 >     password.  When getty is in control:

Try turning off `ap' and hard-code the parity...I've seen similar
behavior on an hp300...turning off `ap' worked...

Later...

Jason R. Thorpe                thorpej@cs.orst.edu                   754-1554
OSU CS Support                    CSWest Room 12                     737-5567
                           CSOS NetBSD/Symmetry Project