Subject: (1) getty/login, (2) NFS options
To: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
From: Daniel Carosone <danielce@ee.mu.oz.au>
List: current-users
Date: 08/17/1994 11:20:18
der Mouse writes:
 > As people who recognize my From:-line will know, I'm running
 > NetBSD/sparc on a SPARC IPC.  And I've got a couple of questions.
 >
 > (1) I have been unable to get logins working on /dev/ttya.  I turn it
 >     on in /etc/ttys, HUP init, and the login prompt shows up fine.
 >     Then I type a username and RETURN (which echo correctly), and it
 >     says, instead of the Password: prompt I would expect, @8@@@@9w
 >     (with no newline after it).

This one had been bugging me on my (serial) SS 1+ console for a while
-- it's a parity problem, I'd have to change my terminal setup now and
then. It used to work fine, then somewhere around 0.9C it changed.

I finally bothered to go digging last night, and found a workaround:

in the /etc/gettydefs file, change `ap' to `np' (I did it in the
defaults line, you might like to create a new entry)

--
Dan.