Subject: wierd com line behavior
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: T. William Wells <bill@twwells.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/16/1994 21:37:30
This is with the August 1 snapshot: I start up a getty with the
following line in ttys:

tty01   "/usr/libexec/getty std.19200"  unknown on secure rtscts

I then dial in. I get a login prompt and type my user name.
Instead of a password prompt, I get garbage. "Password" is
actually being written (says ktrace), but it's getting trashed
along the way. The tty parameters look right, though.

OK, that's probably a trivial configuration problem....

But typing to the "prompt" doesn't do *anything*. I started a
ktrace and nothing was happening. But that has a reasonable
explanation: for whatever reason, the controlling terminal, as
reported by ps, has been changed to co!

At this point, I'm stumped. I've either done something very
stupid or there is a serious bug somewhere or there is some icky
subtlety that I shouldn't have to figure out. So, if there's an
easy answer to this one, I'd like to hear it; otherwise, I expect
to be spending an inordinate amount of time hacking....