Subject: Re: TROUBLE WITH SERIAL PORTS ON 1.0_BETA
To: Brian Buhrow <buhrow@cats.ucsc.edu>
From: None <Mark_Weaver@brown.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 08/15/1994 14:18:02
buhrow@cats.ucsc.edu (Brian Buhrow) writes:
> 	I'm attempting to get current from early February and, as some of you m
> ay
> have seen, I have been having trouble getting the serial ports working.
> My problem is that I have this script that automatically gets the machine's
> slip internet connection going and, as conditions warrant, keep it going.
> As the machine boots up under 1.0, this script gets called as it should,
> but it can never pick up the phone.  Per suggestions from this list, I
> tried setting clocal on the serial port and then tried calling this script.
>  Still no go.
> Under the system I'm running now, which is not current 1.0, but 0.9a, this
> script works flawlessly.  If anyone can suggest a method of modifying this
> script so that it will work under 1.0, I'd be much appreciative.  I have
> been scratching my head over this one for a while, and it still baffles me.

I have a C program that I've been using for quite some time now
which maintains a SLIP connection, detecting hangups and redialing
when necessary.  It can also be run from rc.local, which I do.
It works perfectly with NetBSD-current.

I wrote it because I'm often away from my machine, but need to
access my machine reliably.  This allows my machine to slip right
back in automatically even in the event of a crash, power failure,
or disconnection.  It is quite robust and never gets "stuck".

Unfortunately, it is not general-- it is specifically coded to call
the system here at brown, which dynamically assigns IP addresses.
However, the code is fairly well organized, and should be easy to
modify for whatever system you use.  It also keeps a log of everything
that happens, and can be configured to log various amounts of
information; even the entire session, which is useful for debugging.

In any case, anyone who wants the source can have it.  Someone else
might even have the patience to carve it into a more general tool.

	Mark
Email: Mark_Weaver@brown.edu           | Brown University
PGP Key: finger mhw@cs.brown.edu       | Dept of Computer Science