Subject: Re: What SCSI controller?
To: None <mmead@vt.edu>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- Iowa State University <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/14/1994 21:45:01
>    I'm about to purchase a SCSI-II controller for my PC and plan to use it
>under NetBSD 1.0.  I'd like to get a Vesa LocalBus model so that I can reap
>the rewards of both higher transfer rates/disk performance, and the memory in
>my system above 16M.  Are there any that seem to work particularly well, or
>particularly poorly?  I'd like to know before I buy so that I don't end up
>having to toss 4M ram, and so that I can get the most performance out of the
>2.1G drive I'm about to buy.  Thanks for any advice you can offer!

I think your only viable option is the BusLogic bt445s.  If you have
an EISA or PCI bus, use a model for those instead (bt747s, bt946c, or
a NCR810 controller).  But if you only have ISA+VLB, go for the
bt445s.

      Michael L. VanLoon                         michaelv@HeadCandy.com
  Free your mind and your machine -- NetBSD free un*x for PC/Mac/Amiga/etc.
     Working NetBSD ports: 386+PC, Mac, Amiga, HP300, Sun3, Sun4c, PC532
               In progress: DEC pmax (MIPS R2k/3k), VAX, Sun4m