Subject: Re: lfs...
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@cs.orst.edu>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@alpha.bostic.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/11/1994 23:45:41
> Anybody dinked with lfs?  I really want to check it out, and have a
> 620meg SCSI drive on an hp433 at my disposal.  My main questions, I guess
> are:

For the Nth time:
IT IS NOT EVEN CLOSE TO BEING READY FOR REAL USE!!!

> 	1)  anybody *really* badly lost data on it?  I'm probably going
> 	    to deposit a local binary base there.

I don't think anybody's successfully _put_ data on it!

> 	2)  does one fsck it as you would an ffs?

one should, with either an extension to fsck, or with a new fsck program.
In any case, the support for doing so has not yet been written.

> 	3)  does dump(8) work on it normally?

No, you'd need to add support to dump (or an external program) to dump
lfs's.

> Later...

That's what you should say to any thought of using LFS for 'real
work.'

from every indication i've seen, LFS has been used to run benchmarks
on _only_, and in between it's been newlfs'd.  There's also the fact
that (unless the code has changed significantly since i last looked
at it -- over a year ago, when i was being paid to hack on a related
file system) you can only have one LFS active on a system at a time.

It needs serious work.

cgd