Subject: Re: POSIX signal macros broken/shakey on 1.0 beta
To: None <Mark_Weaver@brown.edu>
From: J.T. Conklin <jtc@cygnus.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/11/1994 17:58:16
   Again, isn't it better to be safe than sorry?  Whether Stevens'
   interpretation of the POSIX.1 spec is right or wrong, many
   programmers will be following his interpretation because of this
   excellent book.

I think Stevens is wrong.

But because his book is widely read and used as a reference; and the
fact that all of the assorted OS's I just checked detect invalid
signal errors; and the fact that the masses may not see CVS 1.4 for
some time has caused me to change my mind one more time.

I've decided that it's better to be pragmatic than pedantic in this
matter.  Since I may have been the only opposition to changing the
behavior to detect errors, I think this opens the window to the
change.

Since the function implementation already detects errors, all that is
needed is for the sigaddset, sigdelset and sigismember macros to be
removed from signal.h and for the manpage to be updated.

If anyone has any objections, raise them now.  Otherwise the change
will go into the development tree tonight.  Someone from core can pull
them into the 1.0 tree if they feel it's important enough.

	--jtc