Subject: Re: yp under NetBSD 1_0B. & Mysterious disk activiy.
To: None <bachesta@angst.tera.com>
From: Wolfgang Solfrank <ws@tools.de>
List: current-users
Date: 08/06/1994 14:38:39
> I'm running the binary snapshot from July 31, 1994 and I'm trying
> to get yp to work properly. I'm running my NetBSD machine on our
> local net. In the past I was able to get yp up and running by
> copying the /var/yp/binding file from my local sun and rebooting.
>
>   bachesta:361> ls -l /var/yp/binding/
>   total 2
>   -rw-rw-r--  1 root  wheel  14 Jul 29 06:28 tera.com
>
> My "domainname is "tera.com"
>
>   bachesta:362> domainname
>   tera.com
>
> I checked for ypbind and it _is_ running:
>
>   bachesta:360> ps -auxww | grep yp
>   root        49  0.0  0.0    76  248 ??  Ss    7:32AM    2:36.67 ypbind
>

> When I do a ypcat hosts I get the following message:
>
>   No such map hosts.byaddr. Reason: Can't bind to server which \
>   serves this domain
>
> Doing a ypwhich gives me this:
>
>   can't clnt_call: Can't communicate with ypbind
>
> Has anyone else been succesful in getting yp up and running? Am I doing
> a "bonehead" maneuver?

I suspect you are running on a local subnet that doesn't have a ypserver.

Your procedure, though more than hacky, worked with the old ypbind due to
several deficiencies in the old ypbind. The new versions doesn't support
this any more.

Now you have to start ypbind with parameter -ypsetme (or -ypset, if you
like risks) and then set the ypserver with ypset.

Hope this helps,
--
ws@TooLs.DE     (Wolfgang Solfrank, TooLs GmbH) +49-228-985800