Subject: Re: COM_SW_CLOCAL and "cu" (figured out)
To: Duncan McEwan <duncan@comp.vuw.ac.nz>
From: Randy Terbush <dsndata!sierra!randy@sterling.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/06/1994 11:53:55
> I finally figured out how to make it work for me (with cu 1.04): I needed to
> create an /etc/uucp/ports file that looked like this:
>
> 	port mymodem
> 		type modem
> 		device /dev/tty01
> 		speed 19200
>
> Now cu knows that the line is connected to a modem it does the right thing
> regarding setting CLOCAL on the line.  You don't even have to have either of
> local or softcar set in /etc/ttys.
>
> Since cu's behaviour seems to be correct, I'm happy now.  All I need to really
> make my day though is to have John or Martin to tell me that cu 1.04 still
> works for them even though they don't have an /etc/uucp/ports (or equivelent
> HDB or V2 uucp config) file ... :-)

Thanks for figuring this one out. I spent the morning sorting through the
uucp.info files for 1.05 to improve my configuration.

However, I think that we have stumbled upon a bug/feature. I *did* have
'port type modem' in my 'sys' file. This would not work until I made a
seperate /etc/uucp/port file. Note that by default Taylor wants this file
to be named 'port' and not 'ports' as you indicated in your post. The
name is configurable though. My previous configuration was attempting to
keep all config information in one file.  Seperating these files makes
things much nicer to maintain.

Thanks again

--
Randy Terbush