Subject: Re: COM_SW_CLOCAL and "cu" (figured out)
To: John Kohl <jtk@atria.com>
From: Duncan McEwan <duncan@Comp.VUW.AC.NZ>
List: current-users
Date: 08/05/1994 19:34:06
in the /etc/ttys file causes "cu -l /dev/tty01" to give the error

 	cu: write: input/output error

And "Martin Husemann" <martin@euterpe.owl.de> said:

> I don't know what version you are using, but with -current from 26 July
> it works fine for me on i386. My /etc/ttys line is:
>
> # modem under control of mgetty:
> tty01 "/usr/libexec/mgetty tty01"       vt100  off local rtscts
> Note the "off" in above ttys' line; mgetty is definitely not involved here.
> (It works with "on" too...)

I finally figured out how to make it work for me (with cu 1.04): I needed to
create an /etc/uucp/ports file that looked like this:

	port mymodem
		type modem
		device /dev/tty01
		speed 19200

Now cu knows that the line is connected to a modem it does the right thing
regarding setting CLOCAL on the line.  You don't even have to have either of
local or softcar set in /etc/ttys.

Since cu's behaviour seems to be correct, I'm happy now.  All I need to really
make my day though is to have John or Martin to tell me that cu 1.04 still
works for them even though they don't have an /etc/uucp/ports (or equivelent
HDB or V2 uucp config) file ... :-)

Duncan