Subject: Re: /kernfs mounts
To: Andrew Gillham <gillham@andrews.edu>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@alpha.bostic.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/04/1994 11:32:56
> I don't know if this is a bug, or a feature... but if I do a
> mount -a more than once, /kernfs gets mounted again each time.

yup.

> (ok, mount reports it's mounted, may not really be mounted again)
> Everything still works, but if I do a 'mount' it's irritating to
> see the multiple listings... :-)

no, it's definitely being mounted each time you say mount -a.

The mount man page doesn't say:

     -a      All the filesystems described in fstab(5) are mounted.  Excep-
             tions are those marked as ``noauto'' or are excluded by the -t
             flag (see below).

though it should...  (that's a quote from the 4.4BSD-Lite man page.)

the only reason that it doesn't remount things like /usr, is because
it gets "Device Busy" on the block partitions of the disk, since
they're already in use.

Arguably, this is a bug, but it's one of those things that does
conform to what should be the documentation.  8-)

chris