Subject: Re: X troubles
To: None <Matthieu.Herrb@laas.fr>
From: John F. Woods <jfw@ksr.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/04/1994 10:59:25
> > Now that I have XFree86 2.1.1 on my newly-updated 1.0B system (Aug 1 tars
> > from ftp.iastate.edu), I can't get X to work.  The X server exits immediately;
> > some fooling around with SuperProbe revealed that it is exiting when it calls
> > ``ioctl(CONS_fd, X_CONSOLE_MODE_ON, ...)''.  I have 'options USERVER,XCONSOLE'
> > in my kernel config, is there something else that I'm missing?  Why does
> > ioctl hate me?  :-)

> start X with stdout and stderr redirected to a file
> (eg ``xinit >& xinit.log'') and look at the result. The answer is
> probably obvious.

The screen never blanks, so I get to see all the messages, and none of them
seemed obvious:

(***) The usual stuff, then:
X I/O: fatal I/O error 32 (broken pipe) on X server ":0.0"
after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining
The connection was probably broken by a server shutdown or KillClient.

To make what I said first more clear, SuperProbe is exiting (with status 0)
when it calls ioctl(CONS_fd, X_CONSOLE_MODE_ON, ...), and I assume the X
server itself is doing so, too.  I have printf()s in SuperProbe before and
after the ioctl(), and the ones after the ioctl() don't print.