Subject: Re: D'oh!
To: None <Mark_Weaver@brown.edu>
From: Luke Mewburn <lm@rmit.edu.au>
List: current-users
Date: 08/02/1994 10:01:29
> Jason Thorpe <thorpej@cs.orst.edu> writes:
> > This is due to a slight incompatibility between the new telnetd and
> > older versions of telnet...(You see this on NeXTs as well...)
> >
> > You can kludge support for the old, broken versions of telnet by passing
> > telnetd the '-k' flag in inetd.conf.

> I think the core team should consider making this standard for 1.0.
> Very few systems run the new version of telnet.  Most notably, both
> SunOS 4.1.3 and Solaris 2.3 use the old telnet, and telnetting from
> one of them to my system barfed until I put in the -k.

Actually, I've tried the following (all accounts running tcsh as the
shell) telnets:
	netbsd 1.0b -> solaris 2.3:	ok
	solaris 2.3 -> netbsd 1.0b:	ok
	netbsd 1.0b -> sunos 4.1.3:	ok
	sunos 4.1.3 -> netbsd 1.0b:	not ok.

The telnet on solaris 2.3 (like a lot of the network stuff), although
not being precisely BSD4.3 networking bugforbug compatible, seems to
be smart enough to autodetect when it does or doesn't need the
KLUDGELINEMODE stuff.

So, yes, older 4.2 and probably 4.3 telnets do stuff up, but the newer
telnets (>= net/2? and solaris 2.x) seem to work ok.

--
``Concealment is never as hard as people think, you          Luke Mewburn
  must understand that. It's action while hiding that's    <lm@rmit.edu.au>