Subject: wddump not working: is there something timing dependent?
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: None <jtkohl@MIT.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 07/30/1994 21:56:34
I'm trying to get crashdumps on a 486/100 box with a localbus IDE
controller.  After I increased the delay loop at the end of dumpsys() so
that I could read messages, I find that the crash dump is failing
with an error
	wd0: wddump: extra drq: status 0 error 0

If I make the wddump() routine ignore those errors, the dump will appear
to complete, but it's garbage--nowhere in the entire dump partition does
the dump magic number appear on a longword alignment boundary.

Might this be something timing dependent in the wddump loop?  I tried
putting delays in a few spots, but always got "extra drq" messages and
the dump was always garbage.

[I need to get a good crashdump to find the bug which is causing a crash
when I exit some programs being executed off an AFS filesystem.  It only
seems to happen with X running, and ddb is thus useless.  arg.  Or
perhaps someone can point me to instructions on remote console debugging
and I can bring in another 486 box for testing...?]

A rapid reply would be most appreciated.

==John