Subject: Re: Generic audio driver.
To: None <Mike.Long@analog.com>
From: Jason Baker <llunch@knuth.cba.csuohio.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 07/27/1994 21:44:57

> >Date: 	Tue, 26 Jul 1994 12:31:36 -0400
> >From: Bill Squier <groo@menger.eecs.stevens-tech.edu>
>
> >A while ago there was some talk of developing a  hardware independant
> >audio library.  Since my roommate and I are about to embark on a
> >driver for the Windows Sound System (retch) I thought it a good idea
> >to figure out the status of this (if any).
>
> I made noises about a WSS and/or PSS (Cardinal, Orchid, &c.) driver,
> but I didn't do anything.  I may do something when 1.0 arrives, and I
> have a stable platform to work with.

	I have been thinking about a pss driver, and it has left me
with more questions than answers.  Things like the mcd and midi
controllers need to be enabled by the sound card, yet they really exist
independently of the sound functionality.  So during autoconfig, the
pss driver needs to decide what port address an irq lines these things
get, then wait for separate drivers, such as the existing mcd driver, to
find them.  In a way, these devices are children of the pss, yet the
device drivers should act as if they are directly connected to the isa
bus -- since they are.
	  If you want to use the dsp for number crunching while
playing linear samples, the best thing to do is connect the ad1848 to
the isa bus in wss mode.  If you then decide to generate two channels
of audio output on the dsp, you need to leave wss mode.  There does
not seem to be any support for bringing devices on and off line
arbitrarily (as you might want to do with a pss-wss driver).  Should
there be?

	Jason