Subject: Re: latest boot blocks don't like old root partitions
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: John Kohl <jtk@atria.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/21/1994 09:26:27
In private mail, Scott Anderson asked about how you can update your root
partition to the new style inode format.

Briefly, here's roughly what I did.  BE CAREFUL.

You need some extra space. I did it by putting together a -current
kernel-copy boot floppy and putting -current binaries (you'll need the
new mkfs at least) on an inst-1 floppy, copying dump and restore to some
scratch dir on /usr, then dumping the root partition to a file in that
scratch dir on /usr.

Then boot the kernel from floppy, and mount /usr.  You should then be
able to newfs the root partition, mount it, and restore the image from
the file on /usr.

Be careful, as usual.

==John