Subject: Re: XFree exits.
To: None <Matthieu.Herrb@laas.fr>
From: Per A. Amundsen <per-am@hsr.no>
List: current-users
Date: 07/18/1994 11:47:03
matthieu@laas.fr (Matthieu Herrb) wrote

> You wrote (in your message from Mon 18)
>
>  [ X exits ]
>
> Since XFree86 looses some console messages that are printed immediatly
> after startup, please run:
>
> 	 xinit >& xinit.log
>
> to get full error messages when you get an error. I think that looking
> at xinit.log after that should point you to the right direction of
> your problem.
>

> 				Matthieu
>

> [A side note to Dave Burgess: could you include this topic in the FAQ
> ?]

Thanks. I immediately learned that I had lost my mouse (/dev/com0) due
to the new (and improved) naming scheme for the devices. By the way,
the text in MAKEDEV still indicates that it is possible to make
/dev/com* devices, but mknod refuses. Of course, symbolic links
works |-).

Also thanks to bdc@ai.mit.edu (Brian D. Carlstrom) and Michael Graff
<explorer@vorpal.com> I will upgarde to 2.1.1 , but at least with
securitylevel = -1 XFree 2.0 works.