Subject: SLIP/PPP problems with May 1 sources
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- Iowa State University <michaelv@iastate.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 07/17/1994 19:28:07
I know current is way past me right now.  But I thought I'd throw this
out as a data point, and see if anyone else had seen this.

I'm running sources/binaryes/kernel from roughly April 30 or May 1
(self-built; not the ones on the ftp sites).  I just got a dedicated
line installed at the university this weekend, and I've had some
problems with SLIP and PPP.  It seems that if I push the connection
too hard, after awhile my machine will hang solid.  PPP seems to be a
bit more robust, as it dies a lot more often in SLIP, and takes a lot
more abuse before hanging under PPP.  Since I'm running under X, which
is running under pcvt, I can't see if it dropped into the kernel
debugger and displayed anything or not.  I could try beating on the
line hard on vt0 and see if I get dropped into the debugger with an
informational message or not, if it needs to be done.  But since my
stuff is so old, I was just looking more for if anyone had heard of
this happening elsewhere.  And, if so, if the problem has been
addressed.

I know my office-mate has been running SLIP with no problems for
months, and the machine we're using as the SLIP/PPP router/gateway in
the office had an uptime of 73 days before we rebooted it to install a
new kernel and update binaries, and a new serial board.  So, I'm sure
this is an isolated problem.  I'd just appreciate it if anyone could
tell me for sure this doesn't happen in current current, and if this
was a known problem in the vintage source I'm running, what the
problem/fix was.

As I write this, I'm downloading current binaries.  Next I'll get the
latest source and I'll see if I can get my system updated
successfully.  Incidenatally, I had 32 days of solid uptime before
these SLIP/PPP hangs, running term through the same serial port almost
the entire time, so I know it's not my system in general.

Thanks for any feedback.

 Michael L. VanLoon                 Iowa State University Computation Center
    michaelv@iastate.edu                    Project Vincent Systems Staff
  Free your mind and your machine -- NetBSD free Un*x for PC/Mac/Amiga/etc.