Subject: Re: problem with 1.0-alpha man(1)
To: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
From: David Carrel <carrel@cisco.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/14/1994 15:32:05
> I just updated my netbsd to the latest SPARC binary snapshot, and I
> find that man still has a problem it had before the update (and hence
> it's probably long-standing).  Specifically, if I ask for a man page
> that exists in more than one section (crontab, say, which exists in
> both (1) and (5)), then I always get the same one, even if I explicitly
> specify the other.  In this example, "man 5 crontab" still shows me
> crontab(1), rather than crontab(5).

The problem will go away if you unset your MANPATH variable.  Yes, I think
it's still a bug.  The man pages implies that it should work the way that
you and I expect, but the comments in the code say that if MANPATH is set,
then the chapter argument will be ignored.

I've been meaning to dredge up a patch and mail it in, but I haven't found
the time for that one yet.

Dave