Subject: Re: The list of floppy devices and a suggestion...
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu, rhialto@mbfys.kun.nl>
From: None <mycroft@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 07/12/1994 01:19:45
   [...] my device driver for the Amiga to handle pc format disks
   (messydisk.device) does just that.

It might be easy to deal with any oddball disk format when you're
essentially reading raw data from the detection circuitry on the drive
(as is my understanding of the Amiga floppy drive), but on the PC we
have a not-so-pretty interface in the way.

It could be done, but it's a pain, and I'm not sure it's worth the
effort.  Perhaps a way to program the parameters at run time would be
simpler and satisfy people's needs.

The short answer is that if you're going to use an oddball disk format,
you should expect to have to pay for it.