Subject: Problems sync'ing fs properly before reboot.
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Thomas Lopatic <lopatic@informatik.tu-muenchen.de>
List: current-users
Date: 07/08/1994 12:43:53
Hello,

since I've compiled the -current sources of 6/18 and 6/25, my file systems
don't get sync'ed properly when I halt or reboot the machine. After
inserting a 'sleep (5);' after the sync () in reboot and halt respectively,
everything works fine now. Apparently the sync returns before it actually
writes the data back to disk. This results in the usual errors which are
corrected when restarting the system. Does anyone know why this happens?

I've experienced these problems running the GENERICAHA kernel on an ISA
486DX-50, 1542CF w/ Quantum Empire 1080S, no-name IDE adapter w/ IO-ports
and a Quantum LPS240AT and an ET4000 graphics adapter.

I've set the SCSI host adapter's BIOS and the system BIOS to conservative
settings, i. e. no fast scsi, no return immediately after seek, etc.

Any pointers on how to solve this problem more elegantly would be greatly
appreciated!

Thank you,
-Thomas