Subject: Re: chicken & egg problem w/libcurses?
To: Brad Parker <brad@fcr.com>
From: Theodore S. Kapela <kapela@sirius.poly.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 07/06/1994 21:15:38
On Wed, 06 Jul 94 11:38:39 EDT Brad Parker wrote:

>I found that libcurses wanted to install docs in a dir which did not exist
>yet (but would when I did a make - later - in /usr/src/share).  It's a minor
>thing, but it may stop a clean build when done from scratch.

Try this:

setenv DESTDIR /		(for csh)
DESTDIR=/; export DESTDIR	(for sh)

then:
cd /usr/src/etc
make distrib-dirs

(Or you could run the mtree by hand. . .)
This will use mtree to install/fix directories (and the like) as
they are defined in /usr/src/etc/mtree/4.4BSD.dist.

*THEN* do your /usr/src/build.

BTW:  It is generally a good idea to keep an eye on the files
in /usr/src/etc (and subdirs), and merge (do *not* blindly copy/install
them - check the differences first to be sure you don't lose local
customizations) them as needed.  This includes the mtree subdir.

--
Theodore S. Kapela
Salomon Inc.