Subject: Re: Nice PostScript lpr package location
To: None <rhealey@aggregate.com, hippo@mercury.sfsu.edu>
From: Mark P. Gooderum <mark@aggregate.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/05/1994 14:41:34
> On Sun, 3 Jul 1994 rhealey@aggregate.com wrote:
>

> > 	While grunging around the Internet for a decent text to Postscript
> > 	package for NetBSD I came across the psf package, version 3.6 at
> >
> > 	ftp.cpsc.ucalgary.ca:pub/projects/psf/psf3.6.tar.Z
> >
> > 		-Rob
> >

> Hmmm, does this work with a HP DeskJet 500C Printer?

Sure, if you build and use GhostScript.  I have a straight text print queue,
a raw PCL one, and a mono and several color PostScript print queues to my
DJ 550C using GhostScript.  The text queue goes through lpf into the "raw"
queue, the Postscript queues go through GhostScript into the "raw" queue.
Font availability is an issue.  Look for font packages that have Postscript
fonts (or say they support "ATM").  There are several PD fonts supplied in
the Ghostscript fonts dist (many borrowed from X11R5...), but many bit map,
and even some of the outline ones don't function as full postscript fonts
(some can't rotate and some can't scale unless X and Y scaling factors match).
I got a very complete font collection for about US $30 called infiniType.
It included Type 1 and True Type versions.

Ghostscript configures for Unix mostly by editing a the Unix makefile
(unlike many things on the net, Ghostscript supports DOS...).  I can
send mine to those interested.  It worked with a mid-May current (and
the binaries still work...so I haven't rebuilt).

-Mark