Subject: Re: 3c509 again
To: Drew Hess <dhess@CS.Stanford.EDU>
From: Herb Peyerl <Herb.Peyerl@sidney.novatel.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 06/30/1994 14:48:30
: I agree with the other poster that VLB systems with more than 2 slots at
: 33MHz should be avoided.  I would tend to blame your problems on the fact
: that your VLB board is outside VLB 1.0 specs before condemning VLB as a whole.
: I have one of the earliest VLB designs, a Micronics JX-30 (basically a
: Gateway machine), with an ATI GUP VLB and a Buslogic BT445S, and only 2 VLB
: slots; it has worked flawlessly in NetBSD, Linux, NT, Windows/DOS, and
: OS/2 2.1.

I'm sorry. I'm not so sure if I buy this. ie: If the thing had N vlb slots
but I was only using 2 of them; does it really matter? ie: only 2 slots
were actually populated at the time.

I dunno; I'd prefer to stick with stuff that seems to have been engineered
with some forethought. Just MHO.

hpeyerl@novatel.ca                           |  NovAtel Commnications Ltd.
hpeyerl@fsa.ca                               | <nothing I say matters anyway>
 "A sucking chest wound is nature's way of telling you to slow down."