Subject: Re: more info on fsck -c 2 crash/failure to clean up.
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@alpha.bostic.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@cs.orst.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 06/27/1994 23:34:26
On Tue, 28 Jun 1994 01:03:30 -0400
 "Chris G. Demetriou" <cgd@alpha.bostic.com> wrote:

 > > Hmmm...I've been thinking about this whole fsck -c 2 thing...The
 > > 'problem' partitions I've seen seem to be root filesystems, etc.  You're
 > > booting off of a floppy and doing this to an unmounted filesystem,
 > > right?  I'd think that doing this to / while it's mounted is a *REALLY*
 > > bad idea...
 >
 > In a word:  "BZZT!"  8-)
 >
 > I never even _tried_ it on my root file system...  You're a braver man
 > than me!  It failed on /usr and /var, and neither of them were, or had
 > been mounted.
 >
 > if you do it from single-user w/o r/w mounting /, it should be
 > treates as "the same as" the fsck -p, just be sure to reboot
 > afterwards...  i.e. i don't think the root-partition-ness or
 > mounted-ness has anything to do with it.

Ahhh...My thought was "I wonder how many people are trying to do this to
a mounted root filesystem?"  Myself, I'm not even going to *THINK* about
going to the new FFS without someone showing me that it'll not kill all
of my data :-)

As for my hp300...:-)

 > cgd

Jason R. Thorpe                thorpej@cs.orst.edu                   754-1554
OSU CS Support                    CSWest Room 12                     737-5567
      'These are my opinions and not necessarily those of anyone else.'
            NetBSD/Symmetry - Coming soon to a Sequent near you!