Subject: Re: Bootblocks & filesystem stuff
To: Ken Hornstein <kenh@wrl.EPI.COM>
From: Greg Cronau <gregc@edi.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/19/1994 22:13:43
Ken Hornstein

>I must confess to being a little confused about the relationships between
>old bootblocks, new bootblocks, old filesystem layouts and new filesystem
>layouts.  Would someone who understands all this stuff confirm or deny the
>following things I THINK are true. (any pointers to an appropriate reference
>would be greatly appreciated).
>
>- The old (0.9) bootblocks will boot a -current GERERIC kernel (I'm sure about
>  this one)
>
> [Other speculations deleted]

Fascinating, the one point that you are *sure* of, I am sure is just the
opposite! When I upgraded from 0.9 to the April 3 -current code, the
first thing I needed to do was install a new boot block, because the 0.9
boot block couldn't handle a 4/3 kernel.

Has the kernel been tweaked to allow booting with 0.9 boot blocks now,
or is Ken's assertion actually false?

Gregc@edi.com