Subject: Re: restore(8) broken
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@alpha.bostic.com>
From: None <rhealey@aggregate.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/18/1994 09:48:24
> if you need it, i can uuencode and send you an old version of 'restore'.
> I tend to be very careful about keeping them around.  8-)
>
> It's most likely because, with the new FS changes, the inode format
> changed, and dump writes inodes out to tape, etc., etc., etc.

	Which is why I use tar for important stuff like this rather
	than dump/restore. NetBSD tar know's about devices like cpio
	but MORE importantly, can be read on multiple architectures and
	OS's...

	I've never trusted dump/restore since there is no easy way 100%
	verify a dump without restoring it someplace. B^(.

		-Rob