Subject: How to submit a bug report
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Charles Hannum <mycroft@duality.gnu.ai.mit.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 06/17/1994 21:15:30
This is probably going to sound a little rude, but frankly I'm getting
*REALLY* pissed off.  This is not directed at any of the people who
have taken the time to submit good bug reports; if you don't think it
applies to you, then it probably doesn't.

If you're going to submit a bug report, then include ALL relevant
information, including program output if at all possible, and ANY
other information you have, the FIRST time.  DO NOT wait for someone
to ask.  If you can't be bothered to do this, then DO NOT submit a bug
report.

And PLEASE, MAKE SOME EFFORT TO TRACK DOWN THE PROBLEM YOURSELF!  We
are not a support organization, and the more time we waste, the less
gets spent on writing better software.  (I don't know about anyone
else, but I have a couple of man-years worth of work on my list.)

I'm serious.  I, for one, waste FAR too much time extracting
information from people that should have been in their initial bug
report.

Oh, and finally, use `send-pr' if at all possible.  Spending a couple
of minutes to port it to some other OS (because your NetBSD box is not
on the net) is not a sufficient reason to not use it.