Subject: Re: log-structured file system
To: Drew Hess <dhess@CS.Stanford.EDU>
From: Greg Cronau <gregc@edi.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/13/1994 11:54:13
Drew Hess

>Greg Cronau writes:
>>
>> Drew Hess
>> >
>> >It's also possible that the paper is among
>> >Berkeley's on-line tech reports.
>>
>> Is there an ftp site or ??? that I can use to access the above?
>

>You can ftp to tr-ftp.cs.berkeley.edu.  I think the correct report is in
>/pub/tech-reports/csd/csd-92-696

This was rather amusing. Apparently the original paper was done on just
that - paper. The paper is stored in the above directory in 2 formats:
1.) Each page of the original paper appears to have been run through a
    scanner and each page is stored as a *.tif file. Each page seems to
    be about 80K and there are over 60 of them. The prospect of downloading
    a 5+meg paper is not one I'm crazy about. And then I have to find a
    way to view/print it.
2.) Also, there is a file called all.ocr. Apparently someone ran the above
    *.tif files through an ocr program. Unfortuneatly, the file is just
    the raw output of that program, with no formating and no attempt to
    fixup the places where the ocr didn't work. Calling the content of
    that file "indecypherable" is being generous. Maybe "informationally
    challanged" is a better description. :-)

Gregc@edi.com