Subject: Re: /dev/null on nfs
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Zdenek Salvet <salvet@nyx.dcs.muni.cz>
List: current-users
Date: 06/10/1994 15:13:19
> > Is it possible to have /dev/null on NFS-mounted filesystem ?
> > With kernel of Jun 8 it gives me:
> >
> > $ ls -l /dev/null
> > crw-rw-rw-  1 root  daemon    2,   2 Jun  9 12:00 /dev/null
> > $ echo >/dev/null
> > cannot create /dev/null: error 22
> > $ cat </dev/null
> > $
> >
> > /dev resides on filesystem NFS-mounted from Solaris 2.3.
>
> Remember any client mounting its / or key parts of it(like /var, /tmp or /dev)
> must have "root" NFS access from the server for those mounts.

 It has.

> However, errno 22 is EINVAL (in both Solaris and NetBSD)...so it looks
> like something else...could differing
> dev_t types and subfields have anything to do with it?
>If you do the mknod on the Sun instead the client (or vice versa) does it work?

 Result is the same when mknod is issued on server.
 It is also interesting that both reading and writing /dev/tty works.
 Finally, I have tried mount /dev from SGI Indy ( OS IRIX 5.1.1 - also SVR4)
 and writing to /dev/null worked , so there may error on Solaris side
 ( no big surprise ).

                                          Zdenek Salvet
                                          salvet@nyx.dcs.muni.cz