Subject: Re: speed comparison 486 dx2/66 and Sparc 4/110
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: George Michaelson <G.Michaelson@cc.uq.oz.au>
List: current-users
Date: 06/07/1994 15:36:13
  >The 486/66 16M would blow the pants off a sun4/110.

  my 486/33 16M (with EISA BusTek SCSI) is significantly
  faster then my SparcStation IPC with 36M and two SCSI buses.

  (note that a IPC is faster then a sun4/110)

Right. but my 486/33 8M IDE is considerably slower than my IPX NetBSD 0.9
and probably than an IPC or a sun4/110.

memory and disk i.o. is the limiting factor, memory first.
If you can avoid swapping, its not hard to be faster than early/small SPARC.

I doubt if this holds true for DS3100/DS5000, the MIPS cpu and TURBOchannel
seem a better combination than SPARC/SBUS.

-George