Subject: updating from 0.9; soundcards
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.Berkeley.EDU>
From: Ken Raeburn <raeburn@Cygnus.COM>
List: current-users
Date: 06/01/1994 15:48:51
Is it still practical to update incrementally from 0.9 (or something
nearly that old -- uname sez "0.9a")?  At the moment, I don't have enough
free space in one place to unpack new tar files with all the binaries
unless I do some serious reorganizing, even if I could get through to
sun-lamp.  So I'd prefer to do it incrementally.

If directions are available, could they be placed in the `doc' tree or
someplace else useful, instead of requiring people to follow the mailing
list religiously, or dig through the archives.  (Where are the archives,
again?  Someone told me some time ago, but I've mislaid the message.  I
didn't see them in any obvious place at iastate, and as I indicated I've
been having lousy luck getting through to sun-lamp.)  I don't care how
many disclaimers you stick on, et cetera; I'm willing to start with a
reasonably clearly described procedure that worked well for somebody else,
and take my chances.

If a binary update is needed, can I do that piecemeal in some reasonable
fashion, or do I just have to reinstall?

On an unrelated note, is anyone working on support for the ProAudio
Spectrum, or should I just list it as a Sound Blaster, and ignore the SCSI
interface on the card (which I'm not currently using, but have thought
about)?

Ken