Subject: Re: Newbie SUP question
To: Mark P. Gooderum <mark@aggregate.com>
From: Herb Peyerl <Herb.Peyerl@sidney.novatel.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 05/31/1994 10:25:00
: If you "fix" the when files to the proper endianness, then things work
: properly.  This made me think that it would be nice if dd had a swap word or
: swap long word or similar options so this fixing could easily be done in a
: shell script.  I couldn't find any shell util that did this and had to write
: a C program to fix it...

Interesting. I stumbled upon this just the other day.  I normally sup to
a SunOS machine at home with /usr/src being an nfs mount.  I then wanted
to sup to one of my NetBSD machines which was an i386.  So; Charles suggested
I use 'rev' to do the swap.

worked for me.  Of course; 'rev' appends an 0x0a at the end so your 'when'
file becomes 5 bytes long but sup doesn't mind for obvious reasons.

hpeyerl@novatel.ca                           |  NovAtel Commnications Ltd.
hpeyerl@fsa.ca                               | <nothing I say matters anyway>
 "A sucking chest wound is nature's way of telling you to slow down."