Subject: Re: Newfs Minfree at 5%
To: Greg Cronau <gregc@edi.com>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@postgres.Berkeley.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 05/29/1994 18:28:29
> I finnally figured out that the -current newfs has
> a default value for minfree of 5%, instead of the normal 10%. I can see
> 3 possible explanations:

Actually, something a bit weirder than all of this.

In 0.9, it was 10%.  then it dropped to 5%, and now it's back at 10%.

I talked with a few people for a bit about minfree (incl. Kirk
McKusick, who would know 8-), and under net/2's UFS, 5% is OK.
(i think it's a 1-2% performance drop from 10%, in disk full
conditions.)

However, with 4.4-Lite's clustering UFS, 10% is appropriate; you need
more space so that clusters can be created optimally.  So he bumped it
back up to 10% in the 4.4-Lite tree, and i did the same in the
NetBSD-current tree, so that we'd not have to worry about it later.

cgd