Subject: Re: sh: warning: running as root with dot in PATH
To: None <hm@hcswork.hcs.de>
From: J.T. Conklin <jconklin@netcom.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/24/1994 18:26:01
> Then i started to look: i don't have any dot in my root PATH !!
>
> It got sooo loud that i experimented - the message is triggered by
>
> 	1) a double colon in PATH i.e.: /bin::/usr/bin     and
> 	2) a trailing colon in PATH i.e.: /bin:/usr/bin:

The message is misleading, but the warning is warranted.

A leading, trailing, or double colon in $PATH is equivalent to having a
dot there.  And root user's should _never_ have a dot in their path since
you never know if a user is going to put a trojan "ls" somewhere where you
will inadvertantly run it.

	--jtc