Subject: Re: sup server questions...
To: None <lm@rmit.edu.au>
From: Herb Peyerl <Herb.Peyerl@sidney.novatel.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 05/24/1994 08:38:19
[cc'ing to current-users because this may be of general interest]

:     - I'm pretty sure that you can serve from a tree you sup from
:       elsewhere. Can someone give me the some basic instructions on
:       how to do this.

I do this as well. I sup to 'sidney' at work so I can update the machines
there, and then occasionally I will sup from 'sidney' to 'lager' at home
so I can update the machines at home. I have 6 NetBSD machines on 2 platforms
that run at -current (or relatively -current).

Sidney is just a regular sup. Here's sidney's supfile:

norm base=/usr host=sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu hostbase=/users/hpeyerl/norm old delete
src base=/home host=sidney hostbase=/home old delete

When I get the tree supped to sidney; I then run:

sidney[35]# cat bin_i386/scan_src
#!/bin/sh
/usr/local/sbin/supscan -v src /usr

Now, in /usr; I have a directory called 'sup' which has the following files
in it:

sidney[39]# du -a sup
1       sup/norm/when
864     sup/norm/last
866     sup/norm
1       sup/src/host
1       sup/src/list
1       sup/src/logfile
1       sup/src/prefix
1744    sup/src/scan
1749    sup/src
2616    sup

Obviously; 'norm' is the name of the distribution I sup out of my directory
on sun-lamp so sup/norm are the files associated with that.  sup/src are
the files involved in being a sup fileserver. Here's what they contain:

sidney[46]# ls -lt
total 1748
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  887633 Apr 24 23:35 scan
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel      96 Mar  6 21:18 list
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel      93 Feb 23 17:21 logfile
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel       6 Feb 23 17:00 prefix
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel      20 Feb 23 16:43 host
sidney[47]# cat logfile
Dec 31 17:00:00 Feb 23 17:21:38 Feb 23 17:21:39 bock.fhf.novatel.ca default 2 Improper login
sidney[48]# cat prefix
/home
sidney[53]# cat list
upgrade src
omitany */obj/*
omitany */obj
omitany */SIDNEY/*
omitany */SIDNEY
omitany */.depend
sidney[54]# cat host
bock.fhf.novatel.ca
lager.fhf.novatel.ca

The 'prefix' directory says '/home' because that's where I have my source
tree and /usr/src is a link that points to /home/src. The 'list' file
is important because you don't want to be shipping a whole bunch of .o
files, .depend files, or kernel files around... Or maybe you do; but I
only have a 14.4k link to my house so I like to cut down the amount of
poopoo coming across...

bock's supfile (as well as lager's) says:

src base=/usr host=sidney.novatel.ca hostbase=/home old delete

Since my src tree is nfs mounted I can sup to any of my hosts at home and
it doesn't really matter.

Hope that helps.

hpeyerl@novatel.ca                           |  NovAtel Commnications Ltd.
hpeyerl@fsa.ca                               | <nothing I say matters anyway>
 "A sucking chest wound is nature's way of telling you to slow down."