Subject: getty - problem on a serial port
To: None <tim@introl.introl.com>
From: Phil Nelson <phil@cs.wwu.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 05/20/1994 09:04:25
>Is anyone using getty on a serial port right now?  This may be
>i386-specific, but I don't think I've been able to login using a modem
>to my system since getty was changed to use termios.  Actually, the
>problem may not be with getty.  After the modem connects, I get the
>"NetBSD/ ..." message and the "login:" prompt just fine.  After typing
>my login name, however, it prints a line of garbage and is, apparently,
>hung.  It's kind of hard for me to debug this since I'm calling into my
>home system and I can't tell what's happening on the system.  This is
>running a current kernel/getty/login/libutil (but not libc) supped
>yesterday night (Thursday).  Any ideas?  Could libc be the culprit?

Something very similar is happening currently (since around May 10)
on the pc532 port also.  (It always uses serial ports.)  On the pc532,
just the output part is messed up and an appropriate "stty cs8 -parenb"
gets it fixed.  You do need to type your password to the grabage prompt.
I also have the "stty ..." in my login script, so I get back readable
output before my next input is required.

--Phil