Subject: Re: Sparc ports
To: Mark P. Gooderum <owner-current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Segmentation Violation. Core dumped. <greywolf@autodesk.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/18/1994 20:06:40
On a similar note, has anyone out there got a protocol spec for NIS+?
I keep bugging sun for one, but they don't respond.  I want to build
client-side code for non-solaris machines (of course the upcoming birth
of a hackerlet might put a damper on any free time I might otherwise
have.)

#define AUTHOR "mark@aggregate.com (Mark P. Gooderum)"

/*
 * > > Has anyone done any work on a YP server implementation for NetBSD...
 * >
 * > No, and I don't feel like doing it. Go for it, knock yourself dead.
 * > It's not that hard.
 *
 * Actually I had been thinking of just such a thing.  I worked up a
 * prototype a while back to address some security issues.  The idea was
 * to have RPC compatibility with ypserv but not worry about the same
 * implementation server side.  Also some optional extensions to help address the
 * security issues (shadow passwords, "coldstart" files like NIS+ uses,
 * etc) and allow remote administration.
 *
 * The extensions would require integration with the yp client libs and ypbind,
 * but would be optional.
 *
 * I guess the only question would be is the YP stuff and related code
 * (getXXXyyXXX() funcs) fairly stable so I can take off and not have a major
 * integration headache in a month or so?  (ie: is there much coming in from
 * 4.4 still that will impact this?).  This is really only an issue with the
 * extras since "true" compatibility for the server doesn't impact the
 * client side.
 *
 * -Mark
 *
 *
 *
 *
 */
/*** end two cents worth from Mark P. Gooderum ****/

Make a hacker happy.  Use a *real* OS.
--

 ________ _____ ____  ________ _____WHO: Greywolf (my nameplate even says so)
/ ___\ _ \ __\ V / \  / /__ \| | __/WHAT: UNIX System Mangler...er, Admin