Subject: Re: Everything I compile core dumps....
To: None <Mark_Weaver@brown.edu>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@postgres.Berkeley.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 05/14/1994 14:43:17
> You're not the only one who had this problem.  When I upgraded from
> May 2's kernel to May 8's kernel, I noticed that:
>
>  1. Old dynamic executables wouldn't work with the new kernel
>  2. New dynamic executables wouldn't work with the old kernel

the former makes sense.  i'd never seen the latter happen, but...

> I am also confused that other people didn't post about this.  Maybe if
> I had been keeping up to date every day I wouldn't have had the
> problem.

It boils down the the fact that your crt0.o was probably never
completely remade (because it doesn't deal with dependencies right),
and so binaries that used its idea of some syscalls (i.e. dynamically
linked binaries) had the wrong idea of what to do, and croaked.

that's the cause of the problem...

cgd